Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thesis!

So... I decided to start a blog for my Thesis film.. which is right now called "tomboy"... though I'm also toying with "camp conformity" though that sounds stupid. but maybe if i come up with a more clever name for the camp, then i'll use that as a title. or "Petra" after the main character, but.. i don't know. the title is the least of my worries, i guess.

okay. so, so far i've got some rough boards of the thing done. they still need more work. like, i want to reboard certain sections to make them a little better, more dramatic and such... i've been looking at Iron Giant for inspiration. in particular, the sequence where he discovers the Giant. its pretty sweet and i think will help influence my sequence where Petra follows the camp counselors into the woods.

yarp. just looking to make things awesome.

i've also have been playing around with the Final Look. it'll be similar to Androgyrl and Mankind as far as look goes... colored in Mirage, backgrounds hand painted in my loose washy style.

anyway, i guess that's it for now... i'll try to figure out how to post images...

~j

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Hi! I don't think you know me at all, but I'm Lauren, one of the animation undergrad seniors. You may have seen me around campus (I know I've definitely seen you hanging with Arjun a few times). I found your blog because Sheila sent us the link to yours and some of the other blogs of the graduate students.
I just wanted to say your thesis sounds really amazing, and your back-story is something I completely relate to as well. I definitely went through a lot of the tomboy stuff in my life, like not wearing a shirt when I was little and not wanting to wear makeup. I also have a brother, who I'm really close with because we're so similar. Hell, even now I still wear my brother's old jeans and really dislike wearing dresses. And coming to terms with my own sexuality was pretty hard, too, because I was so afraid of the rejection I thought I'd face. But I think I'm cooler with it these days.
Also, have you ever seen the movie "But I'm a Cheerleader"? It's not animated but it definitely has a similar theme. In the case of the movie, it's a camp to turn people straight. You should check it out if you haven't seen it yet, it's one of my favorite movies.
Anyway, sorry for the long comment, but I can't wait to see more of your production process. I'll definitely be bookmarking this, and linking to your blog on my senior thesis blog :).